My Favorite Way to Eat Lentils
This is an ode to lentils because they are one of the best foods. They can absorb so much flavour and this combination I am about to share will have you craving this every. single. night..
It really is not anything special, nothing fancy, but makes you feel like you created a masterpiece. I know a lot of my readers are not into cooking a lot or spending a lot of money or time in the kitchen, so this will be perfect for you.
It's warm, has an option to be spicy, good for the soul, and just gives you all the good vibes.
1 can of lentils
1 medium onion
1 bell pepper
2-3 cloves garlic (the more the better in my opinion!)
1/4 cup ketchup (or 55 grams)
1/2 cup strained tomatoes (or 200 grams)
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (if sticking to plant-based, they do sell vegan versions)
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses (can use maple syrup, too. Molasses gives more flavour.)
A few good shakes of chili powder, adjust to your spice preference :)
Salt, as needed
Optional, but highly recommend: frozen peas and/or fresh mushrooms!
To serve: Roasted potatoes or anything else you'd like
1. If preparing potatoes, make sure to have them roasting while you cook the lentils.
2. In a pan, add a little oil and when it is hot enough, add the onion and chopped pepper. You want them in small pieces. (If using mushrooms, add chopped mushrooms here, too)
3. After about 5-10 minutes, add the garlic. Stir constantly for about a minute.
4. Now, add everything else except the lentils. Stir.
5. Strain and rinse the lentils and add them to the pan. Mix well so all the lentils are covered in the yummy sauce. :) (If using frozen peas, add them here)
6. Turn the heat down and let the flavours infuse together. Stirring every once and a while for about 5-7 minutes.
7. That's it! Done! Serve with crispy potatoes. If you like nutritional yeast or even know what it is, I love adding it on top! For others, you can top with cheese if you like.
I hope this makes your taste buds sing :)